Having tested a Sketch model with and without the egg (as the added mass of the egg would obviously effect the force), we were provided with a new and useful set of information that we could apply to our next model and iteration of code in order to make it better.
The first and most obvious thing to us that needed to be changed from the first model was the material, and the thickness of the material used in the main body. Instead of 6mm MDF we have chosen to test 6mm Ply, this is because we want to make the Racer lighter increasing its speed, and MDF is a very dense material.
Another issue we found with our Racer was that was that it was difficult to turn the Racer on and off as we would have to remove wires in order to do so. So we would like to add an on/off switch to provide easier operation.
As discussed in previous blog posts we discovered that the larger the wheel, the faster the car, therefore we have decided to increase the diameter by another 20mm in diameter (80mm), we have purchased gears that we will use if the increased wheel size does not speed up the car as fast as we would like. The only issue we had with the 60mm wheels on the last model was that they were not travelling straight. When testing the Racer on a straight 2m track with a code telling the Racer to dive forward, the Racer began to drive to the left, so next time we will add supports on the outer side of the wheel,
Our previous Racer last wasn’t the most aesthetically pleasing thing, mainly due to the mess of wires, therefore in this iteration we want to try and increase cable management. One way in which we wish to try and achieve this is by adding another layer onto the Racer for components to be secured to, having this will allow us to hide the wires on the lower layer. On the lower layer we plan to secure the two motors at the near end, the top layer will sit on top of this, therefore the motors will also at as a a support. Although, support was still needed for the front end of the Racer, we discussed possible solutions and decided that the Warren Girder Bridge arrangement seemed the best solution as it is supportive and a lightweight efficient solution, so we shall trial this out using 3mm Plywood for the panels.